Take my word for it, this is the best Cranberry Sauce I’ve ever eaten. I’ve made it for years during the holidays, and even not during the holidays, because it’s that good and adds to many dishes. Plus, your kitchen will smell Divine!!!! Of course, a nip of the port doesn’t hurt either.
Makes 2 cups
The Ingredient List
1 cup tawny port, or substitute cranberry or pomegranate juice
(NOTE: I have used 1/2 cup port and 1/2 cup juice and it worked fine)
1 cup water
1 cup fresh cranberries
½ cup naturally sweetened dried cranberries
1 small apple, peeled and grated (1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest, or substitute 1 tsp grated ginger
(NOTE: I use orange zest)
The Preparation Method
- Bring port, both fresh and dried cranberries, apple, orange zest or ginger and water to a boil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toward the end, stir to mash cranberries.
- If it’s seems to have more liquid than you prefer, low boil without a lid to allow evaporation till you find desired consistency.
- Cool before serving. Keeps 3-4 days in the refrigerator, if it lasts that long.
Use it to spread on those turkey sandwiches, or top the Saturday Morning (Pumpkin) Pancakes!
Happy Thanksgiving ~~Phebe